Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Translations

20 degrees Celsius is 68 degrees Fahrenheit
30 degrees Celsius is 86 degrees Fahrenheit

86
68

I can do this!

40 degrees Celsius is 104 degrees Fahrenheit
10 degrees Celsius is 50 degrees Fahrenheit.

A little trickier, but I ought to be able to memorize that as well.


Now. Hindi and Urdu script are a totally different thing. I mean, how am I going to remember this:
A bit of Hindi

or this:
The same in Urdu

Yikes. My husband is descended from a long and distinguished line of polyglots. He majored in Slavic languages and Computer science. Two of the trickier language families in my opinion. Me? I am a sadly typical American with very little ability in this area. I took French in 7th grade and then was not able to continue when I moved since my new school didn't offer French. Then in High School I was lazy and didn't want to take a foreign language. It wasn't required for graduation then -can you believe that? So, I didn't take it. I went on to take a little Spanish in college and now the two languages are hopelessly confused in my brain. "Muy bien, garcon"

I am working on learning some Hindi though. It's interesting because the characters are so different and yet, somehow they look sort of like they should sound. Not sure how to explain that but it's true! We will be leaving to go on a pre-visit to Bangalore/Bengaluru next Friday - luckily most people speak English though!

Now, since this is a knitting blog, I will share some knitting news. I am done with the Mystery Stole! Can't show you yet since I still need to block it. But it is nice to have it done. Actually I have a couple of projects that are waiting for blocking since I am done with the main body of the Print o' the Wave Stole as well. I just haven't had the time to do a lot of work on my knitting stuff lately. Last week for example I spent three whole days dealing with getting passports and visa applications sent off. Didn't do much to help me fight off the cold that hit over the weekend. Argh. Hate that kind of thing. I am also deep in the throes of sorting through books and trying to sell all of my homeschooling books that I no longer need. That's a lot of books! Oh well. Wish me luck in keeping my sanity these next couple of months. I am trying to set a little time aside every day to work on something creative, but I'm not sure I will end up having much to show for it in the end... well- actually - if it helps me to stay balanced, that will be quite an accomplishment after all!

Oh wait! I do have something else to show you! I went to the TKGA show a couple of weeks ago! Well, I decided that I had to since I would be in India when Stitches happens! Helllloooo. These things are important you know! So I got:


Also, while there I was a little overwhelmed trying to make a decision about what fiber to purchase, so I went out to lunch. I was sitting all by my lonesome since some people weren't able to join me, and along came someone who was obviously another TKGA attendee (the large yarn filled bag was a dead giveaway). I invited her to join me and we ended up having the most lovely conversation. She was an amazing woman who had come all the way from Vancouver Washington. Now, she had an absolutely beautiful name, I think it had an "sh" in it somewhere, but I cannot now remember her name for the life of me. If you happen to read this please comment and say "Hi!" Anyway, just another reminder that knitters (and crocheters!) are awesome people!

Oh yeah, and that fiber? I did end up making some choices. What do you think? Very nice, no?!

Yummy!

10 comments:

JillyB said...

Wow, those are tough languages! If everything is written like the center column I'd do okay, especially when it came to credit cards.ha! That and manager were pretty easy the rest, no, not at all. Your fiber is great! I think you have enough to keep your spinning wheel busy for a long time!

MrsFife said...

Um, it might help if you learnt the local language, Kannada, which is what you'd use with household help and people in shops. Hindi is usually understood and spoken, too, in southern India, but it isn't the local language. English will probably be used in signs all over, but I thought you should know before you get deeper into Hindi...

Cindy/Snid said...

Dang! She is right!
Kannada is the local language in Bangalore and I had thought that Hindi and Kannada used the same script. Not so.
Unfortunately, Rosetta Stone does not make a Kannada version.

Bryan B said...

Fortunately we get some sort of language training once we arrive there "permanently", but in the mean time, picking up a few phrases is probably good.
Looks like you've been busy while I've been off traipsing through Germany and Finland.

Romi said...

Wow. What a job to learn all that! But what an amazing experience. I am many shades of green!

cindy said...

The yarn and fiber are beautiful! Yikes the Hindi looks tough.

Can't wait to see you modeling MS3...I'm only on Clue 4 !

indicaspecies said...

Have a lovely trip to Bangalore. You are going closer to my hometown and I am feeling nostalgic.

Incidentally, I can read/write/speak seven languages, including Hindi, Urdu and Arabic.

I could learn a lot about knitting from this interesting blog. Thank you.:)

Anabel said...

I'm pretty sure Eric didn't know any Hindi when he left for India (and Hindi is the language commonly spoken where he went) and he was fine. He learned quite a bit while he was there, but that was partly because he took a class. He even took a cooking class, and all the recipes he came home with were in English. You'll be fine. :)

Tripp Hall said...

As someone who has spent nearly 2 years in B'lore is IS ONLY NOW learning some Kannada during my last couple months here, I just want to say that it's been fun to finally know a few phrases.

A very large proportion of the populace speaks at least some English, and in the stores Westerners tend to go to, that percentage approaches 100%. But knowing even just a little Kannada is very useful all the same. For me, I definitely needed a teacher to get started, and I'm not even trying to learn the script.

Cindy/Snid said...

After visiting last week I definitely think it would be helpful to know some basic Kannada for when I am out and about. I ALSO think it would be helpful to know Hindi for traveling and also for watching TV. I will have some work to do!