Wednesday, April 30, 2008

CccrRrrraaAAAcckkk!!!!

gggrrRRrrruuummmmbbbbBBBBbbbllllleee

You can always tell it's coming. The light changes. It gets darker. Then a little yellow. (Yes, yellow- the air takes on a golden glow and despite my many efforts to capture this it seems impossible to do so!) You see the flash of light, followed by the grumble of thunder. Then a few minutes later... the rain.


We had this weather almost every afternoon in March. But most of April has been dry. Then hot. Really hot. Yeah, I know I already told you about that, but I have learned that I do actually sweat and it can drip down my back when I am standing still. The rain cools things off but it does get a bit more muggy. They call rain at this time of year "Mango Showers" or so I have heard, but apparently the March rains really messed with the mango crop and since it is now Mango season, the prices are said to be a bit higher. Still yummy though!


Knitting? Well, I am out of Sock Madness. Round 4 was started and I just did not have a lot of energy , so I didn't push myself the way I had in previous rounds. I was knitting away last Monday afternoon and as I was checking to see who posted their finished socks on Flickr I saw my undoing pop up. I put down the sock, sulked for a few days and then picked them up again. I am done with all but the heel on the 2nd sock and already started on the Round 5 sock- but I will wait to show you the socks until they are all done (hopefully this weekend). I must say that they really have some beautiful patterns this year! I can't wait to show you! Okay- I give ... here is the first finished sock from round 4:


Tomorrow is Mayday. If we were home we would be waking up early, heading to a dear friend's house for a dance and sing around the May Pole followed by strawberries, whipped cream (or ice cream!) and shortcake for breakfast.

sigh.

Here it is a worker's holiday (including our driver and our housekeeper) so I expect that we will sleep in, and try to figure out what to do with ourselves for the day. Maybe I'll put on some fiddle music or something to help us feel a little better.

Lastly, I spotted this yesterday and am sorely tempted to buy it! Do you know what it is?


What do you think? Should I get it??!!!

10 comments:

Maya said...

You should totally buy that! Then dress in white cotton and start spinning like Gandi...

Happy May Day! You could amuse yourself by setting up a pole somewhere that's in plain view of the street, buying a whole bunch of flowers to decorate it (those I know you can get there!), putting on the ribbons and dancing enthusiastically. After 15 minutes, count how many confused onlookers you've gathered...

Here, instead of sweating, we've been freezing our - er - behinds off in an icy wind coming straight off the ocean. It's quite bracing! Brrrrrrrrrrr....

Jean said...

Back East, the light goes yellow before a big thunderstorm. It's something I miss living on the West coast. I love your sock. May have to make that pattern someday when my hands become free again. xoxo.

Bogie said...

Get it, get it, GET IT!

Margit Sage said...

I agree with Janice!! GET IT!!!!! =D

Abigail said...

Is it a Charkha? If so, get it, just because I want one and I can't talk Erik into making me one out of a cigar box.

Lola said...

It's a spinning wheel, not a charka. And yes, you should defiitely get it.

Anonymous said...

I was actually in Bangalore on Tuesday night, sitting in the Sheraton watching the lightning (and the lights go out). It was great to see some rain, having been in Mumbai for 3 months without a drop, and I was sorely tempted to go outside and do a little dance :)

I was only on a "whistle-stop" visit to Bangalore, but am already planning another visit soon ... with enough time to meet up ..

Oh and I'm with the others ... get it!

Jo at Celtic Memory Yarns said...

If you haven't bought that divine wheel already, GET IT NOW. And get the second one for me and save it for when I come over your way.

Anna said...

Your sound effects put my sarcastic humor on my blog to shame

Anonymous said...

Hi, Just found your blog while bloghopping! Am from B'lore, now living in the US, and was interested to see what an American made of Bangalore!

mayday - there used to be maypoles and dancing in the old Christian areas of the city back in the 70s, when I was growing up (Fraser Town, Benson town etc.) Some of the churches had them, as did some of the convent-run schools.

M