I must digress for a moment...
Did you see American Idol last night?! Oh my f*&%!$ing gosh!!!! PRINCE!!! (or whatever he is currently known as) -Prince on American Idol?!!!! Whatever, he was brilliant as always, but I swear my jaw dropped to the floor. Made my day in a sick kind of way.
Now- on to the knitting. So, I have been working on a sock. A beautiful pattern from Sensational Knitted Socks. The Socks That Rock colorway (Lemongrass) was beautiful and it was striping nicely with no major pools. See? :
Gauge: 8 st/in on #2 dpn's.
Yarn: Socks That Rock- med. wt.
But now I am realizing that it is just too big. See, since it is a 8-stitch pattern I had to cast on 80 stitches instead of my usual 72. I thought it would be a better choice than the alternate 64 stitches. Everything looked fine, I don't exactly have dainty legs so I figured I was good to go. I cast on, I knit, nice pattern and then I started to run into a problem around the ankle. It just was looking downright beefy. So, I decreased all the way down to 72 (rather than 80) stitches at the heel gusset but now the pattern is just too big over the instep and the whole thing is just looking a bit large. Plus, it is also starting to pool with the green on one side and the yellow on the other. Fine, but it doesn't exactly match the rest of the sock. So, I figure my choices are as follows:
a) Rip it all out and start over trying the 64 stitch method. Stick with the #2 needles and pray that it stripes nice.
b) Rip it all out and cast on 64 stitches with a slightly larger needle size, #2 1/2 or 3. This would make the sock a little bit bigger, but might make it less comfortable and/or make the pattern look a little "looser". Not sure. Keep praying that it stripes nice.
c) Finish the sock and hope that it will shrink a little in the wash- although this still doesn't solve the instep or the puddle of color issue.
Any and all advice will be welcomed.