Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Alpaca Resolve and curses

Well, I have decided, no RESOLVED (in honor of the New Year) to hearby abandon all projects that involve alpaca.

Those who have been reading this blog for any amount of time will know that while I love alpaca - for all of those wonderful soft, warm, light, reasons we know so well - will also know that I am allergic to it.

Major bummer.

I completed several projects with alpaca last year:

The Helmet Hat












The Reversible Scarf











(dang, I thought there was another completed one...)

I also have two incomplete alpaca projects: (which I can't take a picture of because my son is taking pictures of his rocket... argh)

The German Clock vest (100% alpaca-absolutely divine stuff)

and yes, The Husband Sweater (aka, the Black Death, the black fog, oh yeah- Interweave called it Ribbed Cables or something)

On this "husband" project I have the back, right side, and about 1/2 of the left side completed (those of you counting will have 1/2 a side and 2 sleeves remaining) Yep. About 60-70% done. This one hurts. But, everytime I pull it out to contemplate doing a few rows, my throat feels all scratchy, my eyes get itchy feeling and so I quickly tuck it back away. Dang, is this a variation on the Boyfriend sweater curse? I would LOVE to knit my husband a sweater. I don't even mind if it means long, boring bits of knitting! I just can't bear the thought of working with the alpaca!

So, I am in search of a new pattern. I like the Irish love song pattern (Amhra'n Gra pullover) in Knitpicks, although he would prefer to have a cardigan, so I may need to find something else or maybe just design my own... Hmmm. That could be interesting. Although it could also be drawing down another knitting curse as well.

In the meantime I have, available for adoption, an incomplete sweater and some yarn that could go to a new home...

No comments: