Saturday, April 21, 2007

It isn't fun yet. I went to my spinning class last night and had a heck of a time trying to get everything coordinated. I felt as if I needed extra arms like Shiva or something. First I couldn't draft my fiber very well, then I couldn't get the spindle to turn, then my fiber was getting too tight. Argh. Definitely not a meditative experience yet. Today, I pulled out my drop spindle and fiber again, in an attempt to have another go. I think I did a better job. But honestly, it is very hard for me to tell. I certainly managed to get more on to the spindle today than last night, but the variance in thickness is a little disconcerting. I hesitate to show you but I'll just pull a "Hannah-ism" and say, I spun this sh*t.


I haven't given up. I will dutifully practice every day and am praying that it gets easier. I do have faith, I guess I just also have a does of frustration at the moment :) I do have a suspicion that I might enjoy using a wheel more than a drop spindle. But we'll see. I'll keep you posted.

On other fronts, you may have heard that I've been distracted lately. No, it wasn't the kids, my husband, or housecleaning or anything... it was cashmere. Oh man. This is fairy yarn/lace weight and it is like knitting with butter air. Very, very cool.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

It looks pretty normal to me! You're doing great ... look at that sh*t you spun!

Anonymous said...

I had that same experience when I took the class at Purlescence. It wasn't working for me at all. But by the end of the second class I was rocking.

margene said...

Get the book Spinning in the Old Way. Predraft your yarn, and practice 20 minutes a day or until you are frustrated, then walk away. It will come!!

theknitist said...

I think it looks great for only having been spinning 2 days! I can't wait to see what you'll be spinning in a week or two.

PurlsBeyondPrice said...

All in good time, my dear. Margene's advice (as always) is excellent. And when you're ready to try out the wheel, we've got a couple at the shop.... Hey little girl, wanna spin on my wheel?

Shadkitty said...

Shoot, it looks better than my first go at a drop spindle! I still don't like them very much, except when I cheat and use pencil roving. hahaha Stick with it, the wheel is definitely more fun.

Jean said...

So when are you going to show us this distracting chashmere lace?

Your spinning looks great!

SheepsPyjamas said...

I also prefer wheel to spindle, but either way, if you twist it, it be span! Take it easy, try to enjoy it, and it'll all come together faster than you might expect... Ohh... and did someone say cashmere? Where, where?

Margit Sage said...

How about now? It's been a few days... you like it?